Tuesday, January 15, 2008

How many posts does it take ...

... til you have a blog? More than two, I'm guessing.

Lucky for me, it only takes two felted puppies to make one pair of baby booties. The puppy knitting & felting was way easy (the tongues were my favorite part). This is a pre-felting pic - each slipper was about 6" long before it hit the hot water. The pattern is still around, even though I got it in a kit, I think from Patternworks, at least a decade ago ... guess I've just just waiting for the right baby to come along!

At this point, according to the pattern, I only need to finish embroidering the eyes and nose, and knit up the ribbed cuffs. But, to be perfectly honest, the felted Lopi was just a little rough (and probably itchy) for brand newborn feet, so I'm knitting a little tube out of cotton to line each bootie ... kind of a pain, but I hope it will make these more comfy & fun to wear. I started it with a provisional cast on, so I'll attach it to the bootie's top edge (snipping out the cotton holding stitches first) before knitting the rib up from there. At least, that's the grand plan -wish me luck, will you?
Now, it so happens that I'm a little superstitious when it comes to baby showers ... I don't really like to give baby gifts until the baby is safely delivered. It's actually my policy, so there. The side benefit is that this policy usually buys me a few more weeks to finish up if the gift is homemade. Since this little cutie isn't due until the 29th, I may be more than ten years late with these booties, but I'm actually way ahead of schedule!

No comments: