Friday, May 30, 2008

Blocking Breakthrough

So, who needs wires or pins for blocking?? Well, maybe I do - this picture will undoubtedly display my lack of skills, but even so, the transformation of this piece from wrinkly blob to defined lace is pretty remarkable!

I am completely in love with the
colors and the changes in the patterning throughout this shawl. It's small - about 36 inches at the top end, and 18 from top to tip, but it's perfect for the small altar we use for the kid's Sundays at church.


If you know this pattern and are looking carefully, you will see that I skipped the nupps and did not indulge in beading - there was enough going on, for me, with just the colors in the yarn. This was a pleasure to knit, start to finish.
And now, it feels so good to have 'broken through' my fear of blocking and to have this beautiful finished lace to show for it!





2 comments:

Tammy said...

Very nice! The color variations are beautiful.

Catherine said...

Yes, this is a beautiful Swallowtail. I always make mine bigger but you went smaller and it is lovely. I appreciate seeing it in a variegated yarn and without the nupps, both variations I might not have been willing to try without seeing yours.